top of page
  • Writer's pictureMike Gallagher

Ellensburg Community Morning Show, Thursday, April 4

The Yakima River Canyon Marathon will disrupt traffic in the canyon on Saturday. Photo courtesy of the Yakima River Canyon Marathon


City advances annexation

The City Council advanced the annexation of 10 parcels on Dolarway Road at Monday’s meeting. Eight parcels are owned by Jeff and Valerie Calaway or Calaway Trading, one is owned by Kristin Gibson and the other by Tom Luft. All property owners agreed to the annexation. The first reading of the annexation resolution was approved with final action slated for the next council meeting.


Stormwater fee explained

With the new city utility billing system, more people have noticed and complained about the stormwater charge on the bill, thinking it was new. City Manager Heidi Behrends Cerniwey explained at Monday’s meeting that it is not a new charge and that the stormwater utility was established in 2007.


County health assessment complete

The Community Health Assessment for Kittitas County has been released and is available for public review. The assessment is conducted every five years. The findings show the count is the top half of the healthiest counties in the state with the main concerns related to impacts from community growth, safety, behavioral health trends, youth and family and healthcare use and access. The document is on the Kittitas County Health Department’s website.


Author talk and book signing on Thursday

Maximilian Uriarte will discuss and sign copies of his book, “Battle Born: Lapis lazuli,” at 6:30 p.m., today, in the Student Union Ballroom. “Battle Born” is the Veterans Center Book Club selection. The event is free and open to the public.


Pfenning Road closed this week

Pfenning Road will be closed between Third Avenue and Vantage Highway this week through 5 p.m., Friday, while the contractor extends the roadway crossing culvert. The work is part of the Pfenning Road Shared Use Pathway project.


First Friday Dance Party

Ellensburg Community Radio hosts a family-friendly First Friday Dance Party at 5 p.m., Friday, at the INK Building at 405 N. Main Street. The event will inaugurate ECR’s Don O’Connor Dance Like Nobody’s Watching Dance Floor.


Civics Bee on Saturday

Civics Bee competition takes place at 11 a.m., Saturday, at Hal Holmes Community Center. Local youth compete for cash prizes and an opportunity to advance to the State Civics Bee competition. Hal Holmes and the Ellensburg Library sponsor the Bee.


Walking Chapbook Poetry on Saturday

Ellensburg Arts Commission’s Poet Laurate Marie Marchand hosts The Walking Chapbook, a gathering of poets who will do readings of displayed poetry at selected businesses as they walk through downtown on Saturday. The event starts at 10 a.m. at the Ellensburg Downtown Association office on East Third Avenue.



Yakima Canyon Marathon on Saturday

The Yakima River Canyon Marathon is on Saturday and will cause traffic restrictions and closures on Berry Road, Tjossem Road, Woodhouse Loop and Canyon Road before 8 a.m. From 8 a.m. to about 3:30 p.m. both lanes of SR821 through the canyon will be closed.


EHS Hall of Fame induction on Saturday

The sixth annual Ellensburg High School Hall of Fame Induction and Reception is at 7 p.m., Saturday in the high school commons. Honorees are The 1970 football team; Amanda Faire, Bob Godes, Joe Heilman, Buck Jones, Jeri Watson, and Coach/Administrator Dave Hall. Tickets are available on the EHS Athletics website.


The FISH Open Table Lunch is barbecue chicken drumsticks, baked beans, coleslaw, biscuit and mixed fruit. The lunch is open to all seniors age 60-plus from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., in Ellensburg, and noon to 1 p.m., in Cle Elum. Meal sites are the Ellensburg Open Table and the Cle Elum Seventh-day Adventist Church. The community lunch for anyone needing a hot meal is from 1 to 2 p.m. at the Ellensburg location.


The forecasted high today in Ellensburg is 48 degrees. Sunset is at 7:36 p.m., and the expected nighttime low is 38 degrees. Winds will be 10 to 25 mph. There is a 60 percent chance of rain during the day and 40 percent overnight.


347 views0 comments


bottom of page